How do you get a license back?

On Behalf of | Jun 21, 2019 | Driver's License Suspension Or Revocation

While every case in Massachusetts is different, there could be a way for you to get your license back if it has been suspended. You may also have other options if you are earlier on in the OUI process.

Generally speaking, it would be wise to take a full account of all of your options before you pursue any action with any official office or with the courts. Taking one route could potentially make it difficult for you to pursue other ways of reducing the consequences of an OUI arrest. With that in mind, here is a brief discussion of how you might get your license back in Massachusetts.

With the exception of having your OUI charge dismissed, getting a provisional license is one of the best ways to keep driving. Like many people, you probably depend on your vehicle to get from one place to another. You might have important family obligations, you may have to drive to work or you may have other responsibilities that require you to travel significant distances.

Framingham and the surrounding communities are not completely developed in terms of public transit infrastructure, and the courts do not want to make it so you cannot get to where you need to be. The purpose of license suspension, from a legal perspective, is simply to attempt to make the roads safer.

Statistics show that many substance-related crashes occur at night. This is why courts sometimes issue hardship or limited licenses, which you might know as Cinderella licenses. These documents could permit you to drive during the daytime when the roads are generally safer. The official state website has more information about the hardship license application process, but you may need more than a basic outline for the greatest chance of success.

There’s no guarantee that a judge would decide to issue you this type of license. However, it would require a detailed analysis of your individual situation to determine whether the option was open. Please do not view this is legal advice. Is only meant as general background information.