What if my license is suspended for a DUI in another state?

On Behalf of | Sep 12, 2018 | Driver's License Suspension Or Revocation

While you were out of state visiting a friend, you were pulled over and arrested for driving under the influence. Your Massachusetts driver’s license was suspended in that state. Can you still drive in Massachusetts?

According to, the National Driver Register is a database that includes information about revoked or suspended driver’s licenses everywhere in the United States. Because every state is required to contribute to this database, it will not slip the notice of Massachusetts authorities that you have lost your right to drive, even though it happened somewhere else.

Unfortunately, you can’t just get your license reinstated in Massachusetts, even though the suspension is valid here. Instead, you must resolve the issue in the state that suspended your license first.

Once you have completed the steps the other state requires for getting your license back, you will have to go through the process in Massachusetts, as well. Due to the fact that the arrest occurred because you were driving under the influence of alcohol, you will have to see a Massachusetts Hearing Officer. At that meeting you will need to provide the following information:

  • Certified driving history record issued within the past 30 days from the state where the offense occurred
  • Court abstract that includes the disposition information
  • Letter of reinstatement issued within the past 30 days from the state where the offense occurred

The Registry of Motor Vehicles reviews this information and may levy penalties specific to Massachusetts law. Circumstances may vary widely depending on the laws in the other state, the specific offense, the success of your defense strategy and other matters, so this general information should not be interpreted as legal advice.